Re: Work Space Switcher - feature, howto ??

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 10:53 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Just a thought.  I would like to setup my workspace switcher so that
> when I switch work spaces it will show different wallpaper on my
> desktop.  Also, if possible, I would like to attach my launcher icons on
> my desktop (not on the panels) to a specific workspace so that when I
> switch work spaces a new set of launchers appropriate to that work space
> are shown.
>
> I guess my questions are:
>
> Is this difficult to accomplish ?
>
> Is it something I can do by writing some simple code for a file; which
> file ?

AFAIK, under GNOME, only wallpapoz (which is a part of Fedora-proper) is
capable of assigning a different wallpaper to a difference workspace. On
the other hand, KDE has a built-in wallpaper-per-workspace capability.
However,
A. Neither of which can assign different panels/desktop icons per
workspace.
B. KDE's kwin window manager is better suited to automatically managing
applications across workspaces.

- Gilboa