Re: some attack to fedora machine .

Alan Cox wrote:
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 02:06:32 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:53:35 +0100
Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

you can usually recover a box pretty trivially.
The problem, though, is that you can never really KNOW that everything is back
in order.

Thats a common misunderstanding I hear.

You never KNOW everything is in order anyway. You never know if a box is
trojanned with 100% certainty regardless of the past history (and the
current quoted [gu]estimate for windows boxes is 2-5% at any given time
so a lot of people clearly don't notice).

I'd guestimate more like 20 -25 % but that's all it is a guess. I don't usually see healthy pc's so my perspective is admittedly a little skewed.
It comes down to making an informed risk assessment.

Your right its a calculated risk but if I have to do the clean up of that crap up then I'd like to be able to look people in the eye with confidence(reasonable certainty). If they want to keep files off the PC then I always tell them that the odds of a quick reinfection just doubled. Again maybe I'm overly paranoid but people are betting their business and personal information with this gamble and I'd rather err on the side of caution in cases like this than have them come back within a few days complaining that I didn't do the job right. I can promise you one thing, the day I can leave the grand waste of time that is hunting for viruses and spyware behind, I 'll buy everyone on this list a nice tall ice cold New Castle!!

Max