Re: some attack to fedora machine .

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 08:59 +0530, subhodip biswas wrote:
> Thats the suggestion I already got from my ISP  help center . If
> reinstalling is the only way to survive then how good is linux from
> windows .

The brief answer to that question:

No system is immune, however it's quite clear that Windows is under more
attack than Linux, and has a plethora of faults that can be easily be
attacked remotely, with Windows being vulnerable in the way that a large
number of people typically run their system - with too many user
privileges (because they've found that *had* to run that way to get
ordinary programs to work, or that the system was set up that way by
default).

Generally, you have to compromise Linux yourself (e.g. run badly
configured servers and deliberately reconfigure to downgrade your
security).  The usual configuration of Linux is quite secure, and most
things work fine, this way.  It's unusual to have to compromise that
security just to use your computer in the ordinary way.

Once a person has compromised your box, in whatever manner they've done
it, then everything stored on it can be compromised.  i.e. If they can
hack their way in using Windows, then they can do whatever damage they
can manage to do, to *anything*, through Windows.  The security features
of any particular OS only apply to that OS, everything else is just a
file on a disc.  Windows security features only protect the Windows OS,
Linux security features only protect the Linux OS.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.