USB devices dissapear: HAL shuts down on it's own

Hello, Everyone
I am finally going to try to do something about this problem that I
have had at least with the last few releases of Fedora Core/Fedora.
I have four USB devices hooked up to this machine:
1. Samsung ML-1250 Laser Printer (USB1)
2. Iomega CD-RW External Burner (USB2)
3. Epson Perfection 2400 Scanner (USB2)
4. Logitech USB Keyboard (USB2) (This problem does not affect this
keyboard.)

In brief, the first three devices sometimes "dissappear."  The way that
I used to find this out is that I would attempt to use one, and it
would not work.  So, I would then, as root, run "lsusb"  The result
would be that "lsusb" would hang and become a zombie process.  The only
way to get rid of it, of course, is to reboot.
Any attempts at accessing these devices after they have "dissappeared"
results in at least one zombie process that I have to reboot to get rid
of.
So, it goes something like this:
1. I wanted to burn a CD.
2. Run "lsusb" to see if my USB devices had dissappeared.

3a. If they have not, the output is something like this:
[root@afolkey2 ~]# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 04b8:011b Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 2400 Photo
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 059b:005c Iomega Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c315 Logitech, Inc. Classic New Touch
Keyboard Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04e8:300e Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

3b. If "lsusb" hangs, then I am forced to reboot to be able to use the
device.

I have learned a little bit more about this issue in the past few weeks.
The following things are true is my USB devices dissapear:
1. "/etc/init.d/haldaemon status" returns "stopped" as the status.
2. "khubd", "scsi_eh_0", "scsi_eh_1", "scsi_eh_2", "ksuspend_usbd",
"usb-storage" all become zombie processes, forcing me to reboot.

I have searched through several log files in /var/log and was not able
to find anything that seemed relevant.  That doesn't mean that it isn't
there, it just means that I could not find it.

Right now, all of my USB devices seem to be functioning as expected.  I
somewhat expect this issue to come up again soon because ever since the
most recent kernel update, this problem has gotten a lot worse.
As soon as this happens again, I will be able to show you the output of
"top" that shows the zombie/"D" status of the above mentioned processes.

OS Version: Fedora 8
Install type: "Hard Drive", Fresh Install (not an upgraded)
All official updates applied.  I only enable the official Fedora repos
when I "yum update"  The only time that I use other repos is for stuff
that I absolutely cannot get through the official Fedora repos.

Thank you in advance for all help that you are able to give me,
Steven P. Ulrick

--
 15:41:28 up 11:09,  1 user,  load average: 0.44, 0.28, 0.37