Re: problems with dial-up

Michael Klinosky wrote:
Mikkel:
Do you have any other network interfaces?

No (just that one).

If you have a default route set, then it is
probably not going to be changed when the PPP connection comes up.

I didn't explicitly set the default route. Do I need to?
No, it will be done for you. but if you set one, then the PPP daemon will not set one for you.

If you can ping by IP address, but not host name, then check
/etc/resolv.conf to make sure the name servers are being updated.

I didn't check a system that has a name (just my dsl-connected machine).
I'll try a named system.

Bruce:
Dumb question - are you trying to connect to your DSL connected machine from another machine you that you are using a dialup connection on? If so, do you have a hardware/software firewall between that machine you are trying to connect to and the Internet?

If I understand things correctly now, you are trying to connect to a web server on your DSL connected machine from another machine using a dialup connection. This may be blocked at several places. Your ISP may block incoming port 80 connections. If you have a hardware firewall/router, it will also block this by default. If you are running a firewall on the DSL machine, it may also be set to block the connection.

Mikkel