Re: 'ls' hangs FC6

Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Here's what I'm not quite getting with all this.  I can ls in certain
directories with hardlinks (I'm using rsnapshot to backup our servers to the
SAN) and the parent of one directory I can ls just fine(say backup), I cd
into the only child in the directory( cd bak/, so now pwd shows
'backup/bak/') and do an ls there and it hangs so badly I can't kill the
process and the ssh session locks up).

We're certainly getting beyond my level, but does doing an "strace
/bin/ls" reveal anything?

reid

Now here's something strange.  My alias is set as:

alias ls='ls --color=tty', which based on looking at my other Fedora boxes is standard, methinks. However, if I do a /bin/ls of any directory that hangs with 'ls' only, it works perfectly. If I do not use the full path (i.e. ls <dir> instead of /bin/ls <dir>) it hangs.

But, it doesn't hang every time I use 'ls' instead of '/bin/ls', only on certain directories. I'm trying to get an strace now, but wanted to try every other option I could think of first.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support