Re: OT: Programming in C

Da Rock wrote:
On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 09:39 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
max bianco wrote:
I want to learn C and I know there are quite a few programmers on this
list.  I am looking for a couple of good books on learning C. I am not
exactly a beginner but I am no expert and i would like to start going
over everything from scratch.  So if I could get some referrals to a
couple of books I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking for a good
thorough beginners guide to C and also something for the intermediate
programmer as I expect to get through the former in fairly short
order. I ultimately will be directing my efforts at kernel hacking. As
always , any advice and or opinion is gratefully received.

Max

I took a C course ages ago and I am trying to refresh my memory. I have found many tutorials on C on the web. I am going through some of them now. I have already found a few that have errors in their examples or examples that are incomplete. Also, when searching, many of the results would return C++ links instead of C links.

Could you post some of those web tutorials?

I am no expert on the quality of these sites. I am just starting to go through them. I have come across a few that were restricted to their local country or students. (IP issues) These are in no particular order.

This is the one I am looking at now and was open. Lucky to be first I guess.
http://users.bestweb.net/~ctips/

This one says Lesson 1: The basics of C++ but in the intro paragraph actually says this if for C.

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c/lesson1.html

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/C/
http://www.c-faq.com/
http://www.linfo.org/create_c1.html
http://www.deitel.com/ResourceCenters/Programming/C/CTutorialsandWebcasts/tabid/208/Default.aspx

Then there is Googles Code search.
http://www.google.com/codesearch

As I am using Linux and gcc, I want to focus on using these tools. I had Turbo C but it was a Windows 3.1 version.

I need to learn C for working with microcontrollers for a few projects that I that I am now working on.

Now to dig through my boxes of books and find my C books, if I still have them.

Also, if you are going to use gcc, then look at the man pages for compiler flags and linking libraries. I came across this yesterday when I was looking for a lint program. Also you and type in man 3 {function} to get more information on that function.

   man 3 cos

Thats good to know. I'm starting to get into this myself (when I can
scratch up some time... :) ), so it'll give me soemwhere to look.
Someone mentioned it elsewhere, but I didn't realise it was that easy,
or the man category to look for.

Cheers

Neither did I.  Sure saves looking through books to find the information.

Hope this helps.
--
Robin Laing