Re: problems with dial-up

I had similar problems with Fedora 8.

Setup your modem through system-config-network. Then from the command line issue 'ifup' to start the connection, ifdown to close the connection. Do it as your user id, not as root. The problem I had was I started the ppp connection as root and started my browser as user. You could also use "modem lights" to start the connection by changing the command it issues to ifup and ifdown.

I also made changes to wvdial, but I discovered it was unnecessary.

Michael Klinosky wrote:
A few months ago, I installed F8 and tried to set it up for dial-up. I couldn't get it to connect (perhaps there were some problems with the install).

So, I re-installed F8 (formatted /, but left /home intact). I'm _still_ have problems - and it seems to be the same issue.

I had to modify wvdial.conf to get even this far (wvdial flat out refused to work with the default, as configged by Admin > Network).

[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/ttyS1
Baud = 115200
SetVolume = 4
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init3 = ATM1L4
FlowControl = CRTSCTS
[Dialer enternet]
Area Code = ###
Username = mpk2
Password = ******
Phone = #######
Stupid Mode = 1
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Inherits = Modem0

Here is output (bad characters removed):

[root@localhost etc]# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Sending: ATM1L3
ATM1L3
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT##########
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT##########
CONNECT 115200
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Sat Mar 22 15:59:11 2008
--> Pid of pppd: 3207
--> Using interface ppp1
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> local  IP address 208.103.167.14
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> remote IP address 69.72.0.85
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> primary   DNS address 69.72.0.7
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> secondary DNS address 209.163.108.78
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]

That much probably looks good. BUT, I can't do anything! (Actually, it will ping, but no www access.)

Network apparently has a problem with the setup - I activate the dialup config, and somehow it gets deactivated.

What's going on?

--
veritatis simplex oratio est

Andrew Bacchi