Re: Thank you, unknown genius!

Anton Solovyev wrote:
Todd Denniston wrote:

Actually an unfortunate thing is that if you do go through and select EVERYTHING by hand and install it, I know from experience, you will get conflicting packages[1] installed and the rpm's are not setup to indicate conflicts.
specifically I know about:
A) rsyslog & syslog-ng
B) ccid|ifd-egate & ctapi-cyberjack-pcsc

It would be useful to have an "Everything that does not conflict" button though.

[1] conflicting in as much as, you get nothing in /var/log/messages with both syslog packages, and the ifd-cyberjack.bundle from ctapi-cyberjack-pcsc causes pcscd to peg at 100% CPU and fail to do ANYthing useful, if a reader for any of the other bundles is plugged in.

Well, that's not unexpected. I am guessing the whole point of the change was to make it possible to stick in any number of possibly incompatible packages and not have to answer for an unusable install. All that under excuse of "security".

I think it has more to do with having a choice of different packages that do the same job. After all, some people like Sendmail, some like Postfix, and some like other MTAs. There are other packages that ofter the same kind of choices. (Hint - look at alternatives for a few examples.)

Mikkel