Re: which takes precedence?

tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have a machine running SMP whose grub entry is

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-55.ELsmp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet 3

(and uname -a: Linux 8mile 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP) BUT    Runlevel N 5

I used to set runlevel by making id 3 in /etc/inittab:

           id:3:initdefault:

Management said not to use inittab but rather grub.conf. Explains before why even when
id in inittab was 5, the runlevel would be 3.

But now, in grub.conf there is the 3 (as above) at the end of the kernel line (5 in inittab) and it is coming up in level 5 after reboot. So which has precedence, inittab or grub.conf and
why is it coming up 5?

A run level as part of the command passed to the kernel takes precedence. So Grub would take precedence in this case. The name used in /etc/inittab gives you a good clue - it is the default run level, and the command line overrides the default.

Mikkel