Re: Firewire Stack in F8 Howto Wanted - SOLVED.

I just wanted to close this issue as it is now resolved.

It turns out I had the "Firewire 1394" option disabled in the BIOS, However because "lspci" does show a firewire port (TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000) I had assume the BIOS had it enabled. Today I got a chance to reboot this box and checked the BIOS and it was disabled, now lspci show two firewire controllers!

07:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev c0) 08:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

Now dvgrab works perfectly with this motherboard and controller :)

I note that some people had suggested (thanks) that the original controller was fully supported. This motherboard does have a FW interface on the motherboard, so maybe if I had connected to that one it would have worked - TODO.

Other good news, my Mini DV camera also has a USB web cam mode and using the Linux uvcvideo module the webcam works perfectly :) - this is a V4L device (i.e. /dev/video1) so will work with ZoneMinder (As I originally wanted - albeit the quality is not great)

Would be great if ZoneMinder would work with DV/firewire.

Thanks.

Albert.

Albert Graham wrote:
Hi,

Can any one, point me to a Howto that explains how to use the new Firewire stack in F7/8,

I'm trying to get my Mini DV camera to work with via Firewire, actually was hoping to use the Camara with ZoneMinder.

lspci shows:
08:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments  Controller (PHY/Link)

lsmod shows:

firewire_ohci          19137  0
firewire_core          36353  1 firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t               5953  1 firewire_core

However, no devices in /dev/fwX appear to be created ?

dvgrab does not see a device connected:

#dvgrab
Error: no camera exists

I checked the fedora documentation, but could not find any docs on the subject.

BTW: I'm using kernel 2.6.24.2-7.fc8PAE

TIA.

Albert.