Re: NetworkManager: a tale of two laptops

John W. Linville wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 02:00:44PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I have two laptops, elizabeth and mary,
>> with identical PCMCIA WiFi cards, Orinoco Gold (firmware 6.04).
>>
>> I have two APs, with ESSIDs (say) wrt and agere.
>>
>> NM (NetworkManager) works fine on mary,
>> linking always to wrt on eth1.
>>
>> NM never works on elizabeth,
>> trying for some reason to link to agere on eth1.
>>
>> "service network" links elizabeth to agere on eth2.

> Did you mean to say eth2 here?  Or still on eth1?

I meant eth2.
The entries in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[12]
point to the two APs.

>> So WiFi works perfectly on both machines,
>> but NM works only on one.
>>
>> I have compared all the files I can think of,
>> and see no difference between the laptops.
>>
>> I do not know where NM keeps the information it uses
>> on networks.
>> I would like to tell it to try to link to wrt on elizabeth,
>> but as I say do not know where it keeps this preference.
>>
>> The documentation on NM, such as there is,
>> says that "NM just works",
>> but unfortunately does not give any hint of what to do
>> if NM "just doesn't work".

> I really don't understand the question.  Why don't you just login on
> elizabeth, click on the NM applet icon, and select wrt?

1. After re-booting, a window comes up with:
"Enter password for default keyring to unlock"
I enter this.

2. 10 seconds later, another window appears:
"Secrets required for wireless network.
Passwords or encryption keys are required
to access the wireless network 'agere'".
I enter the 10-hexdigit key,
choose the default option "Open System",
and press "Connect".

When I hover over the nm applet I am told
"Attempting to join the wireless network 'agere'".
After 15 seconds I am told the connection has been disconnected.

I've checked on the AP, and there is no record there
of any attempt to connect.

3. I try this again, with the same outcome.

4. Now I try going to "Connect to Other Wireless Network",
giving the ESSID "wrt" and the appropriate key.
Again, there is no connection.

5. So I give up and connect with
------------------------------------
[tim@elizabeth ~]$ sudo service network restart
Shutting down interface eth1:                              [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth1:
Determining IP information for eth1... failed; no link present.  Check
cable?
                                                           [FAILED]
Bringing up interface eth2:
Determining IP information for eth2... done.
[tim@elizabeth ~]$ sudo iwlist scan
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth2      Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 02:02:2D:4A:52:80
                    ESSID:"agere"
                    Mode:Ad-Hoc
                    Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
                    Signal level:-60 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    Extra: Last beacon: 211ms ago

irda0     Interface doesn't support scanning.

sit0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

tun0      Interface doesn't support scanning.
------------------------------------

This is the scan on the other - almost identical - laptop:
------------------------------------
[tim@mary ~]$ sudo iwlist scan
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

irda0     Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1      Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:16:B6:DA:56:B4
                    ESSID:"wrt"
                    Mode:Master
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Signal level:-51 dBm  Noise level:-97 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    Extra: Last beacon: 146ms ago

[tim@mary ~]$ exit