Re: Punch Cards

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:45:16 -0400

I seem to recall they paid some fantastic sum of money for an advanced
system that would let you keep your card decks on disk and edit them
and submit the jobs from the disk copy - no one used it, the editor
was so awful - real cards worked much better.

There were a couple products which did this.  I'd used both of the main
products at one time or another.  The one I used most was PanValet, if I
recall correctly.  It was a reasonable step up from keeping boxes of
cards on the shelf.  Which always seemed to have several versions of
the desired program, none of which matched the executable on disk.  The
editor was primitive, but adequate.

I worked as Systems Programmer for a well-known Chicago magazine
publisher, maintaining HASP/MVT or JES2/MVS, I don't recall which.
The applications folks had purchased PanValet and were using it.  I
suggested to the Systems Manager that we use it as well.

Well, if the Applications Manager liked something, the Systems Manager
was sure to hate it.  And vice versa.  There was an open position for
Director above both of them and both wanted the position.

So I ended up listening to the perils of depending on disks for our
precious sysgen decks and how card decks were much more dependable.
I guess they were much more valuable than our accounts payable or
subscription files.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@xxxxxxxxxxxx
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077