Re: k3b verify written data fails - kernel bug?

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 20:55:46 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:

> > > I usually use that option. I noticed that it didn't work for the last CD
> > > I burned - SysRescCD/Clonezilla 2.4.0. I burned 3 copies and all 3 gave
> > > me the md5 error. I assumed there was something about the CD image, but
> > > it's possible this feature is broken...
> >
> > I installed an older kernel to prove my theory: 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
> > Located via bodhi and koji, and the highest one not 2.6.24*.
> >
> > With it, k3b verifies written data fine.
>
> I bet this is one of those gray areas where everyone can blame each other.
> I've noticed a distinct tendency for ISO images to be produced with
> a header that says the ISO is so big, but the file is actually smaller
> than the header implies. For instance, here is some of the output
> from an isoinfo dump of an ubuntu iso file:
>
> zooty> isoinfo -d -i ubuntu-7.10-alternate-amd64.iso
> Logical block size is: 2048
> Volume size is: 355219
>
> So that says the file should be 355219*2048 bytes big == 727488512
>
> In fact, this ISO is that big, but I have encountered ISO files
> that were smaller, and when I've dd'ed /dev/zero onto the end
> to make up the size difference, I've been able to write & verify them
> fine in k3b.
>
> That being the case, this seems like something k3b could do, so
> maybe it could be categorized as a k3b bug?

?  What is your theory if the ISO size is valid?
??  And a k3b bug, but still dependent on the Linux kernel version?
Why does it work fine with Linux < 2.6.24?

I have never before had problems with verifying/reading ISO images from
CDs/DVDs. I burn them in DAO (SAO) mode. With the same and other similarly
reliable hardware I have never had to play with padding to work around
run-out sectors at the end.