Re: New to x86_64; why so many i386 packages?

> Steve Snyder wrote:
>> I just installed the x86_64 build of Fedora 8.  This is my first ever
>> experience with x86_64 Linux as I haven't had the hardware before now.
>>
>> I'm amazed at the number of duplicate packages installed.  My total of
>> 2096 packages installed includes 417 i386 and 2 i686 packages, all of
>> which duplicate an existing x86_64 packages.
>>
>> I understand that some applications don't play nicely when built for
>> 64-bit pointers, but is it really necessary to have all these
>> compatibility libraries just for those few apps?
>
> Well in rawhide leading to Fedora 9, only the "best" arch wins by
> default. If you want both you can set the policy to do that in yum.conf.
> In Fedora 8, use the base arch plugin.

Some of those libraries are needed if you run 3rd party packages.  (Adobe
Acrobat for instance.)  The install is designed not only for what you are
running, but also for what you might want to run.

Unfortunately not every application out there is built for 64bit.  Just
the way it is...