Re: [OT] HELP!!! mail attack

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 20:16 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Anyone who argues that email shouldn't be a reliable mechanism is
> skirting the issue.  It should be.  There's no excuse it not to be.

AFAIK no-one is arguing that it *shouldn't* be (in the sense that in
some ideal alternate universe we wouldn't want it to be), but that it
*isn't*.

And to say "there's no excuse for it not to be" is either a misstatement
of what you mean or evidence of a jaw-dropping misunderstanding of how
the Internet works. As I can't believe you really mean the latter, I
guess it must be the former. Or maybe we have different conceptions of
what "reliable" means.

As I pointed out in an earlier message, there are situations in which
not using greylisting leads to a measurably less reliable mail service.
Not all situations, maybe not your situation, but I know they exist
because I've seen them.

I thought email  was supposed to be a best effort delivery service. We may take that it always or usually always works for granted but .......

Max