CUPS printers and HP 5600 printer

I have an HP 5600 printer that worked just fine with my Fedora box until I changed the black cartridge with a new HP one. On my windows machine, I got messages about aligning the print cartridge, and everything worked fine after that. However, using CUPS on my (much preferred) Fedora box, the printout is always less than good quality, and the system complains that the printer is low on ink (which it isn't, since its a new cartridge and only used a few times so far)

The printout quality is a slightly slight shade of blue / black, rather than the impressive deep black I get on that (horrible) Windows machine.

It seems to be due to the CUPS printer as my wife gets the same thing and she has a Ubuntu machine

Thanks!

Chris