Re: gdm login busted

Jim Duda wrote:
I recently upgraded from fc7 to fc8, about a week ago.

Today, my gdm login is busted. After I enter my user name and password, gdm just hangs, and never starts up the desktop.

I have to boot the computer into init 3, login to a shell, then run startx.

I do know what I could have done to break this.
Cause I don't ;-)

What day did it last work normally ?
review /var/log/yum.log {and others if the logs have rolled over} for around that date to see if any unexpected updates were made.

Do you normally reboot every day ?

Do you have an up2date kernel 2.6.24... ?

That icon might now be called System|Administration|login window {/usr/bin/gdmsetup}.