Getting Fedora installed

Dear list,

I have a greying homebrew PC, Athlon 1200Mz chip, 30 Gb + 120 Gb HD's, some more-or-less
generic network card, and a Microtek 710S monitor and a DVD drive.  I have 256Mb RAM, and the
installer insists on setting up a swap file right away.  When I go to install Fedora
off the DVD everything is fine, the graphics look great (the screen resolution appears to be 1024x768),
the packages apparently install OK, everything is fine until I click the Reboot button.

The machine then reboots, loads Fedora and gets to a screen that has some extremely low resolution,
and what appears to be the following list of setup tasks:

Welcome
License Info
Firewall
SELinux
Date and Time
Hardware Profile
Create User.

The font is immense -- most of the items go off the right hand side of the screen.

There's a caret to the left, and hitting Enter moves it from one line to the next -- until it gets to Hardware
Profile.  At that point it hangs.  Hitting the reset button just repeats the process.  It appears that it's
not recognizing the monitor although as I mentioned, the installer had no problem with it at all.  I'm going
to give it one more go this evening, hooking the monitor in directly rather than thru the KVM switch.

Anybody have any ideas?  Possible hardware compatibility issues?  I've asked around locally but nobody
seems to have any solutions.

Thanks very much,
Bob