Re: nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

Niels Weber wrote:
2008/3/27, Mike Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Or you guys could dump Livna and use the package from freshrpms.net,
 which uses DKMS. It automatically rebuilds the module on a kernel change
 - even non-RPM kernel changes if you manually compile a kernel.

That's what I've also been doing on multiple machines and for years.
It works really good. Since using that package, I've never had to
worry about kernel or nvidia updates again.

Sorry to be off my own thread for a few days. There's certainly been a lot of back and forth. I'll try to address a bunch of points here. I think this is a result of the fact the the Open Source community tends to invent 35 ways of skinning the same cat, because everyone wants to start on a different body part.

So I ended up installing directly from Nvidia. One or two of the needed dependencies were tricky to track down, but otherwise it was very painless. However, I haven't faced a kernel upgrade since I did it, so I'll have to see how smoothly that goes. If it causes me problems, I may switch to DKMS, which sounds like a good solution if it works.

Paulo, thanks for pointing out the 586/686 thang. In my experience, using packages marked as 586 or even 386 hasn't been a problem, but clearly with kernel modules, it needs to really match.

I'm anxious to try Gene's script, too. However, I'm having trouble finding where that makefile is on my system. I found
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.24.3-50.fc8-i686/drivers/video/nvidia/Makefile
but it only has 13 lines.  Is that it?

I have a unique opportunity in that both my server and my laptop are running F8 with nvidia cards, so I can try one way on one computer and another way on the other, and see how it goes. For now, I simply don't do kernel upgrades on the server unless I see atrpms has the right nvidia drivers already, which is a hassle. Maybe I'll try dkms there.

I *am* a little nervous about the lack of *recent* info on dkms. I can see through "yum deplist nvidia-x11-drv | grep -i dkms" that dkms automagically gets loaded, and maybe I can accept that it "just works" but I'm not into "faith-based sysadmining". I'm a Software Engineer by day.

Thanks all of you for all all your help.