Re: Linux, Vista dual boot

Michael D. Setzer II wrote:

On 30 Mar 2008 at 18:57, Jim wrote:

Date sent:      	Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:57:42 -0400
From:           	Jim <mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	Fedora-Maillist <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	Linux, Vista dual boot
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

Can Fedora Linux be setup to dual boot with Vista as easy as XP, what filesystem type does Vista use ??

I also have installed Fedora8 on a Vista Notebook, but one Big warning.
Unlike XP, which doesn't see the Linux patittions at all, the Vista saw the partitions, and if you click on them in My Computer it will offer to format them for you. The notebook was setup for a student that got it for Christmas, and Vista Ran on it like a Dog, so we set it up with dual boot. That worked fine except for the wireless card. Then here sister was using the machine in windows, and for some reason, she clicked on the the Linux Partitions, and formated them. Then the machine wouldn't bot anything, since Grub was gone. Redid machine in Fedora8 only now. I don't have any access to Vista, but wonder if there is a way to make Vista not see the Linux partitions to prrevent this.

Oddly I had this problem on XP, but not Vista. Well, not quite the same: XP isn't as user friendly and didn't helpfully offer to format the partitions simply because you selected them, but they did appear in explorer. I'd guess this has something to do with the fact I'm using XP Pro, but Vista Home.

To quote an email from Robert McBroom when I asked about it on this list January last year:

My Computer>Manage>Disk Management

Lets you manipulate the correspondance between drive letters and
partitions or map a partition to a directory on another partition a
la  mount.  If all mappings are removed the partition doesn't
show up in explorer.

(This was an answer for XP, haven't had occasion to try it on Vista.)

--
imalone