Re: Catastrophic disk failure, where was smartd?

Tim wrote:

I can't tell you how many UPS's I've seen that are supposedly good, but have 5+ year old batteries in them.

How many let you hot swap a battery?  Surely that's a requirement, to be
able to change an aging component, without having to power down the
computer that it's supply.  It is supposed to be an *uninterrupted*
power supply.

No, if you want your computer to stay up continuously, get the kind with dual power supplies and plug them into 2 different UPS's. That way you can replace one at a time.

But out of the small number of consumer aimed UPSs that I've actually
been able to see, they're virtually a sealed box.

Yes, they serve a purpose, but keeping something running non-stop for 10 years isn't it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx