RE: Brother Wireless Printer

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 15:32 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anybody know how I can set up my Brother wireless printer to work
> > with Fedora 8?
> >
> > I've given it a static IP address on the network, and the model of the
> > printer is a DCP-3400W.

I am using a Brother MFC665CW wirelessly at home and it is a nice machine. The setup involves at least TWO drivers.

Start here:   http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html

You will first install the lpr driver for your model, then the CUPS wrapper, (and you can, if you want, and the machine supports it, add a SANE driver for scanning, and a PC-FAX driver, for using the machine as a PC-fax machine.

In your case, presuming that you actually have the DCP-340CW, (not DCP-3400W) you will be looking for the MFC-210C drivers as a substitute. On each driver page, there are dense lists of models with a link to the driver page. Rather hard to read.

You need to have lpr running on your computer, first of all. Since this is part of the printing group package, it should already be installed.

Then select, download and install (in your case) the MFC-210C lpr driver/rpm (the DCP-340CW uses this driver). Click on the LPR link and then find the MFC-210C download link, then select .,...well, you've done that before I'm sure...
Install the rpm which you find in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Then, Back up 2 or 3 pages and select the CUPS wrapper driver link, in the same way, and follow it down the garden path, again...

Install the rpm..

NOW, you can open your KDE oe Gnome menu and select 'Administration -> Printing' and 'New Printer'. You do really need a static address (as you have done) to make this work, as the printer is defined by a URL of the form: lpd://192.168.100.99/binary_p1. Call it want you want, and select the correct printer when asked.

Note that you will likely have to set up the printer AT THE PRINTER END, for the static IP address you have selected. Although it is supposed to be possible to do it with DHCP, I have never been able to make that work..as the IP always moves as things are powered up and down..

HTH
Geoff