Re: meeting server software

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 11:30 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> Can anyone give me leads on internet meeting software?
> I'm looking for open-source alternatives to our Windows
> Linktivity software --
> requirements:
> multi-point desktop sharing - we currently can do meetings of up
> to 15 participants with one host sharing his desktop to all
> participants
> control transfer - the host should be able to hand over control
> of the meeting to another participant - he should be able to
> manipulate the original host's desktop, or, share his
> audio and live video sharing for teleconferencing would be a
> major plus - our current software is supposed to be able to do
> that, but it's so ineffective that we just forget about live
> video most of the time, and use telephone conference calls for
> the audio portion
>
> any reports on real world use would be greatly appreciated -
> packages that work on Redhat derived products, whether CENTOS or
> Fedora obviously are my biggest interest

The commercial version of Croquet named qwaq is supposed to be the
be-all and end-all solution to online conferencing. Unfortunately, the
client only runs under Windows. I was offered a test of qwaq until my
hard head refused to run Windows, but they promise a linux alpha test
will be out "Sometime in the near future(tm)"

The server runs under Linux. <sigh> There ought to be something in the
GPL. Almost every 3D suite offered just LOVES Linux for server side, but
refuses to accommodate the client side ...I guess for proprietary ($$$)
reasons.

Maybe you'll have to get streaming video into Quake and have the
participants all appear as orges and trolls with BFG's. That should
produce either teamwork or bloody chaos. It would be entertaining.
<grins hugely> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar