Re: Brother Wireless Printer

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 15:32 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody know how I can set up my Brother wireless printer to work
> with Fedora 8?
>
> I've given it a static IP address on the network, and the model of the
> printer is a DCP-3400W.
>
> Thanks in advance,

I don't have one of these, but I just configured a different Brother
printer.

Open system-config-printer (System -> Administration -> Printing) and
define a new printer.  Select IPP or LPD/LPR as the connection type.
Enter the printer's IP address as the hostname and leave the printer
name blank.

It doesn't look like this printer is in the printer database, so you'll
need to grab the PPD file off the printer's driver disk.  On the next
screen, you can select "provide PPD file".  Select the file in the
browser.

If you can't find a PPD, you may have to just try different printer
models until you find one that works.  Your printer manual or spec sheet
should tell you if it can handle PostScript (Brother's PS interpreter is
BR-script) or PCL and what version.  Try the generic printers in that
case.

The rest should be straightforward.

--
                Matthew Saltzman