Re: mount.cifs Example please?

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:mount.cifs Example please?
From: Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: 03/27/2008 06:09 PM
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:01:28 -0700
Sean Bruno <sean.bruno@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The google search you suggest is exactly what I did to find my answer.
I don't really think that is my point, but I do understand that I did
find my answer so, "What am I complaining about?"

Always remember: Without google, linux itself would be impossible :-)

Back on cifs mounts, I discovered that the man page claims // or \\
works equally well for share names, but in fact I couldn't get it
to work at all with //. The script I use at work to mount windows
shares on my linux box has this line:

mount -t cifs -o credentials=/dev/fd/4 -o domain=iccur -o ro -o uid=$unix_me -o gid=$unix_me \\\\intranet\\public /intranet/public

Lots of escaped backslashes to wind up with the right number for whoever
cares down inside the cifs mount code.

Remember, the kernel cannot do SMB name lookups. It uses DNS. Unless you have the computer "alpha" setup in your DNS server, the mount command won't find it with \\alpha.

I setup DHCP with DNS updates so my computer names sync with DNS, and those type of commands will work all the time.