Re: Raid Card controller for FC System

Robin Laing wrote:
Albert Graham wrote:
Joe Tseng wrote:
I s

On the other hand lots of people like getting something for free and software raid gives you that, but your subject was "Raid Card Controller for FC System" right ?

Albert.

One issue that I kept coming across about hardware raid is what happens when your RAID controller dies. Can you get one that uses the same protocols or do you need to rebuild from backups? I have read enough articles about someone trying to recover their data after a controller failure and the replacement doesn't see the data. Even same brand cards.

Just on this point, 3ware do offer outstanding support, service and that includes FREE overnight shipping of a "new" replacement card. The warranty is 3 years, and they offer the replacement for this period.

As it turned out, recently when I purchased the 9560SE-ML16 it blow within a week for some unknown reason, within 24 hours I had a replacement and had 30 days to return the original - The only cost was I had to pay postage to return the card.

3Ware do take these issues seriously and will not leave you out in the cold. Interestingly, apart from my personal card, none of the cards I've ever installed (and I mean lots) have ever blown :)

Also, on the matter of data compatibility, this would only be an issue if you swapped the raid controller for a different manufactures card, in which case you should expect problems.

As someone mentioned, you can simply put the drives into another server and everything will be as you expect (and hope).

Albert.