Re: "??" file in home dir.

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 10:16 -0500, inode0 wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  As I said in my original reply several days ago, you can use "rm
> >  -i" (specifically "rm -i *"). The -i means "interactive". It walks you
> >  through every file in the directory asking if you want to remove it. To
> >  be used with great care of course ...
> >
> >  I'm amazed no-one else brought this up. The -i option to rm has been
> >  around for at least 20 years. Maybe only us oldies remember it (using
> >  Unix since 1974 :-)
>
> Since we all have to remove the dumb aliases for root on every install
> how could we forget it? :)
>
> The original question wasn't how to remove it so that might explain it
> too. Eventually I expect it would get to that, but figuring out what
> the file was, what it contained, how it got there, etc. seem to be
> things I'd be interested in doing before I removed it.

No doubt interesting to the OP, but since he provided no info whatsoever
that would enable us to answer that question, it's hardly something we
can go into. I did mention it was probably a misdirected Shell stream
(that's what it invariably turns out to be in my experience) but there's
not a lot more one can say about it.

Cheers

poc