Is it possible to restart a USB device without unplugging it from the computer?

Is there any way that you can restart a USB device using a shell command without unplugging it from the computer?

The reason for this is that I have two Ueagle-atm modems setup and working with Shorewall. I would like to be able to write a piece of script that automatically restarts one of the modems if it crashes is this possible ?

I have looked for days on Google and other SE’s to find a solution to this problem but no cigar L

Many Thanks

Phil

www.mailforyou.co.uk