Re: What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

 Well something else to throw into the pot along with the other answers,
 on several occasions I've heard Ubuntu fans cite the fact it doesn't use
 rpm (ubuntu uses deb) as one of the main reasons they use it because
 they don't like the "dependency hell" of rpm. Personally I think that
 view is at best outdated but each to their own. :-)

It's a ridiculous view point as in terms of dependencies rpms and debs
are almost equivalent.

Well I've never extensively used any deb based distro but then I've been pretty stuck with RH and friends for about that last 10 years since starting out with RH 5.1 rough cuts on an Amiga of all things :) But I must admit, I never really understood that viewpoint as yum has basically eliminated "dependency hell" and wondered what was magically different about deb.

--
Ian Chapman.