Re: What linux lacks most - a decent remote fs

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 11:19 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:58:50 -0500
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > What kind of problems do you see? It can be hard to get firewall
> > openings right and it depends on uid's matching at the client and server
> > for file ownership and permissions, but those things either work right
> > or not at all.  You shouldn't see reliability or performance problems
> > unless you have hundreds of busy clients.
>
> What I mostly see is every imaginable problem on different machines
> at different times :-).
>
> I think the root cause is related to having vast numbers of different
> versions of unix/linux on different machines all of which claim
> to "support" NFS, but which together are highly unreliable (especially
> the ones too old to support tcp connections).
>
> The worst problem is data corruption on writes, especially writing
> large files across NFS, they will often wind up with large chunks of
> zero bytes in place of the actual data.

It sounds like you may be running some rather old NFS implementations.
Most recent implementations should be able to use TCP which provides
error correction.  Many years ago I saw problems like you described with
writes over NFS/UDP when customers had overloaded ethernets with very
high collision rates and/or a machine with a broken ethernet card and/or
broken tcp/ip that was transmitting in an unfriendly way.

It's been a long time since I've done this, but I used to run tcpdump
and write awk or perl scripts that would catch the offending systems
and/or disconnect systems from the network until the problem went away.
Today, I would likely look at upgrading the systems to use NFS based
TCP, but if your network is a mess, it needs to be cleaned up.  Also of
value, might be the retransmission statistics provided by netstat -s.  I
think there may also be other statistics available that indicate the
error rates on an ethernet interface.

You could look at running various type of network switches, or splitting
the network into subnets and multihoming major NFS servers.

Nataraj