Re: What linux lacks most - a decent remote fs

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:58:50 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What kind of problems do you see? It can be hard to get firewall openings right and it depends on uid's matching at the client and server for file ownership and permissions, but those things either work right or not at all. You shouldn't see reliability or performance problems unless you have hundreds of busy clients.

What I mostly see is every imaginable problem on different machines
at different times :-).

I think the root cause is related to having vast numbers of different
versions of unix/linux on different machines all of which claim
to "support" NFS, but which together are highly unreliable (especially
the ones too old to support tcp connections).

The worst problem is data corruption on writes, especially writing
large files across NFS, they will often wind up with large chunks of
zero bytes in place of the actual data.

You don't happen to be writing a given file from 2 different machines do you? ie odd blocks from one machine, even from the other?

I have not had that bad of luck with NFS, and I have been using in since linux 2.2 against a variety of Unix machines.

                      Roger