Re: Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 08:33:41PM +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/
>
> What is your experience ?

"Fedora is about the rapid progress of Free and Open Source software."

If that covers your needs for a server, that's OK. But usually most
people will associate a server with high availability and low
maintenance, e.g. less rapid progress and more conservative steps to
not endanger their setups.

So actually the answer is not that "Fedora makes a terible server",
but that the question about Fedora being run as a server needs to be
placed in Fedora's frame to be valid. And if you're up to upgrading
often and using sandbox systems to check whether the functionality you
needed is still mapped properly, then go for it.

But I very much disagree with the last sentence:

    "However I will have more realistic expectations from software
     considered totally “free”."

CentOS and Debian are totally free and very good server
platforms. CentOS/RHEL are even derived from Fedora, which means that
Fedora can't be that bad of a server platform.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net