Re: NFS problem

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:43:44 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:

> I'm trying to set up an NFS file server on one of the boxes on my LAN
> and have gotten stuck. On the server, I used system-config-nfs to create
> the following /etc/exports file:
>
> /home/magnusg/music  192.168.1.11(rw,sync) 192.168.1.12(rw,sync)
> 192.168.1.13(rw,sync)
>
> to allow the other three boxes r/w access to the directory
> /home/magnusg/music on the server (192.168.1.14).
>
> Also on the server, I used system-config-services to start nfs and
> nfslock on run levels 3 and 5. Then I checked NFS4 on the firewall
> configuration widget system-config-firewall to open tcp and udp ports
> 2049. Then I rebooted the server.
>
> On one of the clients I then did (as root):
>
> mkdir /mnt/PuteF
> mount 192.168.1.14:/home/magnusg/music /mnt/PuteF
>
> and got the error message:
> mount: mount to NFS server '192.168.1.14' failed: System Error: No route
> to host
>
> I'm guessing I need to open more ports, but which ones and where? The
> four boxes are connected to a Linksys router.
>
> Thanks for the help! --Jerry

This has been discussed over and over again on this list.

The NFS server needs some rpc services in addition to nfs proper, such as
mountd, statd, lockd and rquotad. NFS proper runs on port 2049. What
ports do you suppose the rpc services run on?

Believe it or not, by default, these are assigned random ports when those
services are started (when you start nfs). To see what they happen to be,
run rpcinfo as root on the nfs server:

rpcinfo -p

If you stop/start the nfs server you'll see different ports.

At any rate, you need to open these ports in the firewall. First you
force them to be non-random, by specifying what you want them to be in
/etc/sysconfig/nfs. For instance

RQUOTAD_PORT=4000
LOCKD_TCPPORT=4001
LOCKD_UDPPORT=4001
MOUNTD_PORT=4002
STATD_PORT=4003

Once you've pinned them down, you open them in the firewall (on the nfs
server) once and for all.

Furthermore, you need to open the portmapper in the firewall as well
(i.e. port 111 both tcp and udp). The portmapper is needed to tell the
nfs clients what the rpc ports are.

That's all.

One more thing. You don't need to put anything in /etc/fstab unless you
want the exported partitions to be mounted permanently on the clients.
Run the automounter on the clients, and then the exported partitions get
mounted on demand. Ex. on a client

cd /net/my_nfs_server/my_exported_partition

mounts it first, then changes directory.