Re: kmail dead in water, using tbird I hope

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:01:52 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I've had several hard lockups over the last day, possibly related to a
> tickless kernel2.6.24.1 I could keep running long enough to recompile it
> with the usual kilohertz tick, so ATM I'm on one of the older 2.6.23
> kernels from the F8 repo's, and kde is 3.5.9
>
> Anyway, kmail (and kontact but I don't use it) is now doing a nearly
> instant Signal 11.  The kmail.kcrash report sort of points a finger at
> libkmailprivate.so, but I've stopped X, had yum rip out kdepim and
> kdepim-libs, and then re-install them with no effect on the crash.
>
> So here is the kmail.kcrash text:
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
> (no debugging symbols found)
> [snip many lines oof this]
> (no debugging symbols found)
> [New Thread -1208654128 (LWP 25523)]
> (no debugging symbols found)
> [snip many more lines]
> (no debugging symbols found)

This means that you should install the corresponding -debuginfo rpms to
fill in the missing details in the backtrace.

> [KCrash handler]
> #6  0x4f406736 in KMMsgDict::insert () from /usr/lib/libkmailprivate.so
> #7  0x4f58414e in KMFolderIndex::fillMessageDict ()
>     from /usr/lib/libkmailprivate.so

Do you realise that it could be a segfault caused by corrupted input data
and not by corrupted packages? Depending on what libkmailprivate does in
this area of the code, it could be that it doesn't verify the input data
enough as would be necessary to prevent it from crashing.