Re: NetworkManager Is Driving Me Crazy!

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 06:36 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 01:30 -0400, Rick Bilonick wrote:

> > > Make sure you have "ONBOOT=no" in the
> > > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 file.
> > > - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2@xxxxxxxx -
> > > - Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
> > > -                                                                    -
> > > -  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
> > > -                              rigged demo.                          -
> > >

> > wlan0 is not set to be activated on boot. I will have to set NM not to
> > come on when the machine boots. Maybe that will help. I would imagine
> > there are a lot of people who have wireless at home and a wired
> > connection at the office. It used to work just fine under Fedora 6.
> >
> > Rick B.
> >
> NM never worked with static address connections. wired and wireless yes
> but both using DHCP.

Actually, a LONG time ago (or at least it feels like it - read: "I don't
remember when it stopped"), NM actually read my ifcfg-eth0.  Perhaps
this is when it was "first" introduced and all it was doing was an "ifup
eth0" on its own, but I did use it that way and was able to have static
on wired and dynamic on wireless.  I don't remember if static on
wireless every worked since I never had that "need".

And, yes, current situation in terms of "released" code is that the
settings are embedded at a "user" level and currently only support
dynamic, though static support is "coming" as is earlier starting in the
boot process with "system" rather than "user" settings....  But I have
plenty of patience, as it still has not hit 1.0 after all.....

--Rob