Re: tweaking printouts

Mikkel:
I tried to change the margins on printouts (Admin > Printing, 'job options' tab) - but they apparently didn't help the situation.

When I print simple text documents from gedit, the top and bottom margins are bigger than I need. Does gedit do this on its own? I can't find anything in its prefs to config the print margins.

Or, is there some other way to adjust print margins?

Btw, I'd consider another text editor.

One thing that may help is to File --> Page Setup --> General and uncheck Print page headers. I know it did for me when I did not set any page headers.

Already knew about that. The issue for me is that there is wasted space.

Tom:
Or, is there some other way to adjust print margins?

Fanatical print margin tweakers may want to check out
my web page at:

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/linux-tidbits.html

I did this - didn't change anything for gedit.  :(

gedit is apparently hard-coded to use certain margins.

Frank:
> I think it would be just peachy if a system wide print margin setting
> could be set and the apps all used it. Real peachy. Ric

lpoptions

I checked this out - it actually put a new twist on things for me. It didn't occur to me that I could use a terminal command to print!

So, when I need to tweak my printouts, I'll probably use lp.