Re: Ldap, Pam, Nss, Samba

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 00:28 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 14:58 -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
> > All I need for now is an address book for the facility here, then
> > another one that the users can search through that is integrated with
> > an outside directory for users to pick mail to send to.
>
> Good luck! There are several step-by-steps available that disagree with
> each other on one point or another. It's easy has heck to stay confused.
> I'm waiting for someone to come up with a nice and easy gui that will
> design the proper connections for me, after I fill in some blanks and
> check off some tick boxes! Someone will do it, and earn my everlasting
> praise and thanks. I have prayed over the matter. <grins> Ric
----
GUI based console...however I wouldn't necessarily suggest that this is
going to make things any easier for you.
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/

The reason that 'step-by-steps' disagree with each other is because
there is no one correct way to do things but whatever works is likely
correct.

The fact is that the original concept of LDAP bears little resemblance
to the uses that it has today.

If you want the one-vision, GUI based, rigidly designed, fill in some
blanks, check off some boxes LDAP, Microsoft Active Directory is the
ticket. But you will bang your head against the wall once you try to
customize it.

The really simple answer...learn LDAP. The simple book and method to
learn LDAP...
LDAP System Administration by Gerald Carter. Book is now getting old,
long in the tooth, uses ldbm instead of bdb but the book makes it really
obvious how to use LDAP and once you learn that, customizing it for what
you want to accomplish is simple.

Craig