Re: significance of RAM errors?

Hi Dave,

You should not get any errors?, the problem could be many things, but most likely hardware or timing related.

There is an excellent README as part of the prime95 package (http://www.mersenne.org/), that should give you a starting point.

memtest86 is great for finding problems, but it can take a long time. When you're "tuning" you need a faster method of determining if system is stable enough to warrant spending another 40 hours on memtest86, prime95 usually "indicates" memory problems within a few minutes - hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Albert.

Dave Stevens wrote:
Hi,

I have a dual boot system with Windows and Linux on separate drives. After some recent problems with booting I ran memtest86. In 40 hours more or less I got about 600 memory errors. I don't like this but am somewhat at a loss to understand how it compares to other systems or what consequences are likely to stem from this. What I want to avoid is system instability and unpredictable behaviour. Can anyone point me to more information about how to interpret this result? or has anyone an opinion?
Dave