Re: Future Fedora Kernels and atop

Albert Graham wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Albert Graham wrote:
Hi Guys,

Any chance of "atop" with kernel counter patches being added to fedora in the future ?

This is a nice "advancement" which I'm sure will interest many fedora as well as RHEL users.

Ref: http://www.atcomputing.nl/Tools/atop/home.html

The advantages look very interesting:

http://www.atcomputing.nl/Tools/atop/whyatop.html

Has this been submitted upstream? Any plans to? Fedora prefers staying close to upstream.

Rahul

The site does not indicate that it has, but reading the page on patches seems to indicate counters are visible via |/proc//pid//stat as second line counters, so I would assume this would worry upstream guys on compatibility issues/arguments. Either way, I still think this would be a great tool, it works without the patchs but you don't get per process stats - which is what most people would be interested in particularly in RHEL.

You might want to first talk to them about their plans regarding upstream submission. Carrying patches forever and forwarding porting them to each new kernel release is not a long term sustainable solution.

Rahul