Re: How to fix two disks with the same Volume Group?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 03:23:08PM +0530, Anoop Chandran wrote:

>    On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Chris G <[1]cl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>      I have just had Fedora 7 re-installed on my work desktop as the old
>      disk drive was slowly failing.
>      I need to access the old disk if I can, it's still in the system and
>      visible but the person who installed it didn't change volume groups so
>      I have two disk drives with the same volume group.  How do I change the
>      name of the old disk's volume group so I can mount it and see it?
>      Running vgscan returns:-
>       Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
>       WARNING: Duplicate VG name VolGroup00: Existing
>      P6sqp0-rIos-JYmi-8L32-ymtN-LzB4-g5BdLL (created here) takes precedence
>      over TdWFKp-H4tw-UrVq-Jmre-26hv-zmyE-IZXQLI
>       Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
>       Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
>
>    Could you try vgrename? "man vgrename" for more info.
>    From man page - vgrename /dev/vg02 /dev/my_volume_group  renames existing
>    volume group "vg02" to "my_volume_group".

Ah, but they're *both* called /dev/vg02 so that's no help.

However it turns out that vgrename understands UUIDs so the following
works:-

    vgrename TdWFKp-H4tw-UrVq-Jmre-26hv-zmyE-IZXQLI MyVolGroup

It's not immediately clear from the man page that this works, but it
does - phew!

--
Chris Green