Re: backup

Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 19Mar2008 17:24, Tom Holroyd <tomh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Show of hands: compress backups? Or 1:1 copy.

My choice? No per file compression. Let the storage substrate compress if
possible - eg modern tape drives do it on their own. Or if it doesn't, you
might compress the "archive of everything" file (eg a tar or dump file).
Otherwise you have to do "special" stuff on restore; it's untidy.
This position is a gross simplification of things of course.

Example: there are systems I backup with rsync to a new hardlinked tree from
yesterday's snapshot. Obviously this is 1:1, with incremental cost.  It goes
to tape from an uncompressed tar file because the tape drive does some
compression.
If the storage device does not do compression, then from a reliability standpoint, you are better off with per file compression as opposed to total backup compression. The reason for this is that if a compressed file gets corrupted, you lose that file, but if a compressed back gets corrupted, you have a hard time recovering the files after the corruption.

Mikkel