Re: backup

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:24:21 -0400
Tom Holroyd <tomh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Show of hands: compress backups? Or 1:1 copy.

I just backup to an external usb drive with rsync and use
the --backup-dir option to make a new per-day directory of
all the old files replaced in latest tree by the last rsync.

At one time I thought about making compressed copies of the
older backup dirs to DVD when the USB drive started to fill up,
but I never got that ambitious. I just delete the old backup
dirs when the disk starts getting full (usually gives me
a month or two of daily backups where I can find old copies
of things if I screw something up).