OT: web page design tools

I have the opportunity to dive into web page design. I know the basics, which is to say not much. Just looking for opinions on what  software to use. I would prefer an open source program but i am flexible. It doesn't have to be fancy, just intuitive(subjective i know).  All opinions, decrees and etc welcome!

Thanks,

Max