Re: 2.6.24.3-34 Crashes

* Jim <mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [20080318 01:51]:
> F8 i386
> If I put acpi=off in menu-lst , as such rhgb quite  acpi=off   and I
> reboot, when it gets to "Uncompressing Linux ..OK Booting the kernel"   I
> get a long repeating of:
>
> Unknown bus type 4
>             "
>             "
>             "
>
> About 10 lines of same and then the boot process "Locks Up" , If I reboot
> by a earlier Kernel and remove  acpi=off from menu-lst and reboot
> 2.6.24.3-34 , it completes booting and goes into Desktop.

To test things like this, you know you can interrupt Grub at boot and
by using 'e' you can edit a boot entry so you can add options like
this to test. Rather than edit something in to grub.conf that later
prevents system from booting I mean.

> Is acpi=off a no no in Fedora anymore.

Running with ACPI off on most modern systems is going to pose
problems. While you can try it, I would caution that it likely will
not work very well, if at all.

> I 'm having a couple of problems with audio and webcam working and I wanted
> to see if  acpi=off  would make any difference

What rationale do you have for thinking it was ACPI that caused the
problem? :)

HTH,

/Anders