Re: wireless/gnome

Jonathan Underwood wrote:
On 17/03/2008, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John W. Linville wrote:

 >> > Wireless Network Connection to ??? (98%)
 >> > I assume 98% is a measure of signal strength.
 >>
 >> I can't think of anything it could possibly be 98% of ...
 >
 > That's probably because you are intentionally obtuse, and apparently
 > on a jihad against NetworkManager...

I'm unintentionally obtuse.
 What is this signal strength 98% of?

I'd guess it means that 98% of the transmitted signal intensity is
being received by the wireless card. Although I have to admit, I do
wonder how that is calculated, and whether it takes into account the
1/r^2 fall off of signal emitted in the full sphere.

This explains it pretty well:

http://www.wildpackets.com/elements/whitepapers/Converting_Signal_Strength.pdf

It may be more than you want to know.