Re: Bluetooth device display

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I'm trying to interest some Windows folks in Linux, and either there are
> no decent tools for Linux, or they are called something which keeps
> search engines from finding them. I loaded a bunch of "bluez-" stuff,
> but found nothing I would show to a user.
>
> They booted a Windows machine, and it popped up a window called
> "bluetooth network," which showed a mouse, a keyboard, a printer, and
> two cell phones. And the user clicked the mouse and keyboard, clicked
> "use it" from the pull down menu, and had changes to bluetooth from wired.

AIUI you shouldn't need to change anything under linux. When you plug in
 a bluetooth keyboard, assuming the bluetooth services are running, it
should just work, without you having to select it. Linux desktops have
no problems with multiple keyboards and mice, and do not require
rebooting to enable them... :) (sorry, bad recent experience with XP)

> Two questions: first, is there anything like that in Linux, and what's
> it called? These people are NOT going to be told there's a command line
> interface if I can help it. And second, if the user had clicked "use it"
> on a cell phone, what does that mean? Can I send text messages directly
> to Bill Gates? Corporate hq in Redmond? God?

The bluetooth icon in your system tray allows you to browse bluetooth
phones and the like, assuming the devices permit this. It should also
allow you to connect to them.

The nautilus-send-to extension permits you to send files (etc) to a
bluetooth device from your filemanager. As it stands the functionality
(the last time I used it) is limited (it sends files to the 'root' of
the remote device) but it does work.

Alternatively, kdebluetooth (assuming it still exists. And works.) used
to permit me to browse my phone graphically in konqueror.

"use it" may well use the attached phone device as an external modem.

For specific phones you are (supposed to be) able to use bluetooth to
transfer files, sync address books, even possibly send SMS messages
(with the right client software)

I hardly use bluetooth for anything, personally as it kills my phone's
battery in about 10 minutes.

Regards,

Stuart (who is now waiting for people to rush in and correct him.)
--
Stuart Sears RHC* (and all that stuff)
"Quit worrying about your health.  It'll go away."