RE: Copying a Hard Disk Containing Windows With Fedora

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 21:14:57 -0700
From: Markus Kesaromous <remotestar@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Copying a Hard Disk Containing Windows With Fedora
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

I am truly puzzled by these reports of success!!
I just finished cloning /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdc1
sdc1 is larger, so I did ntfsresize.
So far so good.

Thing is, sdc1 is a USB HD (with bios support).
Even though bios is configured to boot off of USB first, CD next and built-in HD last,
It still boots off of the built in drive. Only way I can force it to boot
off of USB HD is to get into bios and disable the built-in drive (set to not-installed)
and reboot - then bios will boot off of the USB drive.

However, windows still will not boot! It gives me a splash screen of windows logo,
then reboots.
Is there something in windows that insists that the drive be on same controller
as it was when first installed?

Markus

Yes, I think it is so...