Re: Fedora 8 java question

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 23:38 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 09:37 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> > >Hi List;
> > >
> > >I've run into a snag with Fedora 8 and I'm not sure I have even enough info to
> > >share to get some help, but I figure it's worth a shot:
> > >
> > >- I'm currently working with a client where I need remote VPN access. They use
> > >a java based utility via a "NETGEAR ProSafe SSL VPN Concentrator 25 SSL312"
> > >device. I was quite pleased to find that with Fedora 7 when I clicked the
> > >java 'install/setup' icon the VPN just worked.
> > >
> > >However, I decided to upgrade to Fedora 8 and the VPN stopped working.
> > >My "Upgrade" to Fedora 8 was a new clean install. I did find that the java
> > >plugin in my fedora 7 install was using version 6 update 2 and my fedora 8
> > >install was using version 7 (not sure of the build).
> > >
> > >With version 7, once I click the install/run icon I get a new small firefox
> > >window which tells me it's connecting and then it displays a connect &
> > >disconnect button (with the connect greyed out since at that point I'm
> > >connected.  However with Fedora 8 I get the window but nothing ever displays
> > >in it just a blank window.
> > >
> > >Thoughts ?
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance....
> >
> > Looks like you had Sun Java installed on F7.  F8 comes with icedtea
> > which is an open source of the upcoming version 7.  It is missing
> > some things but I don't know if that is your problem.  You can
> > install Sun's java and try it.  I posted a web page with instructions
> > for installing and configuring Sun Java on F8.
> >
> > http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html
>
> Thanks Knute! You did good and it was easy to follow. That always makes
> a difference. Ric

It should be mentioned that this only works for i386.  There is no
Firefox plugin for x86_64 from Sun.

I solved the IcedTea "Applet not initialized" problem by adding

        grant codeBase "http://your.website.here/*"; {
                permission java.security.AllPermission;
        }

But in my case, the particular applet still doesn't work, it just
doesn't report any errors.
--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs