Re: OT: mp3 xmms

Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 > I'm a little slow catching this thread, but I understand that XMMS
 > development has stopped and there is currently no maintainer.

There is a maintainer, but there's indeed not much development except
some minor bug fixes. XMMS works pretty well to play MP3 files. Small
footprint, fast and stable.

 > Is there any reason you want or need xmms?  Personally I found
 > that audacious works just as well as xmms and has about the same footprint.

Audacious started as a promising alternative to XMMS, but especially
with a large collection of MP3s you'll notice that it is slower than
a moving glacier. And it is somewhat unstable and crashes on some MP3s
or ID3 tags. However, Audacious supports a lot of formats and works
much better with audio streams (eg, web radio) than XMMS. Personally,
I use Audacious for audio streams, but XMMS for local audio files.

Nowadays, Audacious goes the same way as all other players. Most
development goes into a cool-looking the user interface, but little
into bug fixes and optimization (stability, speed, resources).

As long as Fedora still ships with GTK1 stuff, I stay with XMMS. ;-)
Haven't yet decided what to do if XMMS won't compile or gets
incompatible with newer kernels, audio subsystems or libraries.

	Suggestions welcome! Andreas